I’m art nerd-ing out again. Etsy‘s very own Team Librarian is having an Ides Of March sale with 15% off everything in all member shops. To make the incentive that much juicier, I’m highlighting my favorite item in each shop for you. Please to enjoy…
1. Excessively Diverting —Where classic literature becomes novel accessories!
3. Anne Archy
4. Lola Jeana
5. Sovereign Sea — Where glass and creativity abound!
11. Hoosier Mama
12. Snapdragon Beads
13. Kallia X Jewelry
In a related story, Shana Logic is also having a Mini Art Sale with 20-30% off select items until this Friday, March 19th, at Midnight. Free shipping on all orders over $75 using the code “NORTHAMERICA” (applicable to the US and Canada only…sorry Mexico!).
Other places I like to get original artwork from?
- Art Fire — An open marketplace to connect artists with buyers, similar in setup to Etsy, where you search for what you want.
- 20 x 200 — It’s Jen Beckman’s simple idea. An artist will sell 200 prints of an original piece for $20 each at the standard 8.5 by 11in paper size. (Prices increase and number of editions decrease by the size of the print.) They release one piece of art and one photograph per week. Sign up for the mailing list to keep in the loop! Or check them out on Twitter @20×200! This is how you become a collector of original art without having to be intimidated by galleries or pricing. Not gonna lie, I’m swooning over it.
- Fro Design Co. — Original pieces by artist Fernado Fro Reza.
- Hokey Stokes — I’m obsessed with Julia Field’s book carvings, particularly “Los Egipcios” which is currently for sale on Etsy for $150. BIRTHDAY GIFT IDEA, I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING RIGHT HERE.
- Little Paper Planes — An amazing store for art, paper goods, clothing and accessories. Their art-centric blog is highly enjoyable. Check them out on Twitter too, @LPPStore!
- Spencer Weisz Galleries’ AntiquePosters.Com — Their section of Polish-language posters (running about $200 each, in case you don’t want to make a price inquiry) are simply divine. That’s half of my heritage right there, baby.
- See also: Sarah Stocking Antique Posters and ContemporaryPosters.Com!
- Cinematic Happenings Under Development (CHUD.com) — They release a poster every month to coordinate with their retro faves!
- Reelizer — They release original artists’ takes on movie posters, classic and modern, with some of the artists selling there wares as posters. My favorite is “Clue” by Kevin Wada (ONLY MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER FROM WHICH I CAN QUOTE ALL THE LINES FOR SERIOUS GUYS)…as well as “Doctor No” and “Goldfinger” from the James Bond 007 canon by Gabriel Aronson (whose work reminds me of Harlem Renaissance painter Aaron Douglas), shown below. Check out their affiliates, Mondo and PosterWhore for more ways to buy these gorgeous prints.
Let me know if you have any more good sources, s’il vous plaît.